somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, April 06, 2009

Don’t Freak Out But…

Poipet had a statue in the middle of the round-about at the end of National Highway Five. It was a concrete god/ human/ warrior/ spirit being, painted all over in black and shiny gold. Weapons in both hands, it faced the Thai border as our symbolic protector.

A few weeks ago I was driving to the end of the Highway and I noticed something was different. No statue! Before I had time to process the thought, an idea flashed into my mind: “Maybe this is the
reason I’ve had a tough couple of days… no protective Spirit!”

I was a little shocked at my own unconscious reaction. I don’t put my faith in a lump of concrete! I don’t believe that I need to fear Spirits lurking in rivers, houses, trees and dark corners. Yet, these are the beliefs of many people I live amongst… and it seems that I've internalised some of these ideas without really thinking about it.

Don’t freak out, though… it is Easter coming up and I’ve enjoyed doing some reading and reflecting on the person of Jesus. I able to see something/ someone other than statues.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:40 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    That's so cool, at one level, that you are thinking like a Khmer, but of course ever so more cool that you can challenge those thoughts by spending some special time reflecting on Easter. Ali x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home