somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Pot Plants

On Saturday morning I woke up with the feeling like it was going to be a significant day. Not for any real reason.... Maybe half of the reason was that I watched a war movie until 12:30am so my head was full of soldiers in uniform with polished shoes, shining buttons, medals of honour etc. I had images of white glove saluting and brand new flags folded exactly just so. I slept with Values on my pillow: Honour. Rank. Duty. Courage... with a fair dose of nationalism.

So I woke up Saturday was a sense that it was a Very Important Day. Not busy. Certainly not filled with frenzied activity (it's too hot for that...) Just a day that counts. Do you ever have that feeling? ...Like you're on a sacred mission even in your ordinary work week?

Anyway, to prepare for this Super Important Day the first thing I did was eat a peanut butter sandwich and drink a cup of coffee. Then I got ready for the pastors & church leaders meeting. I prayed, printed out copies of the agenda, read through the business items again and practiced out aloud the parts I needed to lead in Khmer. We were almost ready when the first pastor showed up at 7:45am for the 8:30am meeting.

During the following hours we heard stories, talked business and caught up on news. I pulled out some extra percussion for the singing so one of the highlights for me was having a kinda rowdy time of worship. It was fun.

In the afternoon I bought pot plants. (I'll say 'pot plants' even though one of my friends reckons it should be 'potted plants' because where he comes from the phrase 'pot plants' is only used for pot.) We got some orchids to hang and leafy palms with green and purple-green leaves. We got dirt under our nails and grime on our elbows as we potted them... and it was great! We washed the dust from the leaves so they all looked wet and fresh.

We've now got a modest rooftop garden and I LOVE IT! I reminds me that this place is my home. I'm sticking around. I'm planting stuff and watering it and changing the position of the pot plants to catch the afternoon rain. I'm here long enough to plant some stuff and watch it grow.

It's all really ordinary but Saturday was a Very Important Day.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:52 pm , Blogger gretchen said...

    hahaha... most people here keep "pot plants" in their basements. hmm...think illegal?! hahahaha. i totally thought the same thing! (who says pot plants?!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home