somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Angelina Jolie

Angelina Jolie wrote a book. I picked up a bootlegged copy of Notes From My Travels because I was curious to read the second chapter. [UNHCR] Mission to Cambodia. July 16 through July 27, 2001.

Some parts made me chuckle. This three-sentence story, for example:

Yesterday I was about to throw ice out of my glass and Ravut stopped me. "Ice is very expensive here. You should give it back to the kitchen."

What?! Ice is expensive?! It's about twenty five cents a kilogram expensive. It isn't necessary to send a couple of cents worth of half-melted lumps back to the kitchen! I think maybe Ravut was messing with you....

I laughed a little at the tales from the fresh foreigner but I also enjoyed many of the raw observations in Notes From My Travels. It reminded me of comments from first-time visitors; things that I realise afresh aren't part of everyday life in an urban, Western context:

I just woke up to roosters.

A roll of toilet paper is put on the table.

As we continue to ride our bicycles, we pass many men and women watching us from their homes. They are surrounded by children.They wave or smile at us. Other people just watch us, but I noticed that every time we wave and smile, they immediately respond in kind.
... Every time we pass someone on the road, through the jungle and through the little village, we make eye contact and give a friendly greeting. It is always returned.
Can you imagine if that was our everyday life? Could you imagine acknowledging every individual you pass and smiling at one another? Showing respect to everyone?

Here's the cool thing: I don't have to imagine what this might be like. After five years, interactions like these never get tiring. I smile at strangers and they smile back. Always. Kids call out 'hello' on their way home from school. People pause for a few minutes to make small talk at any time of the day. It's easy. And this is what makes it such a pleasure to live here.

Maybe I'm completely bonkers but I will put this idea out there: Ange~ you're tall, gorgeous, rich, famous.... and you have snogged some fair-decent looking fellas. But I believe there just might be a tiny bit of you that's a teeny bit jealous of the life I get to live every day.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:22 am , Blogger Rusdy said...

    And caucasian people are treated differently in these countries as well (funny that, people treat each other differently because of their skin colour :P). Starting from more generous "Hello Mister" to overcharge goods :)

    Not sure whether this is an advantage or not. We want to show them the 'treasure', not the 'pot' after all.

    Keep the good work!

     
  • At 4:34 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    you know it.
    i love this post.
    (and i am so jealous, i'm coming, too)
    xoxo

     
  • At 5:12 am , Blogger Zach and Amanda said...

    Fabulous! I have put the book on hold!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home