somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, March 04, 2010

no offense

Someone told me yesterday that every "overseas missionary" he knows was "socially inept" before they even left the US.

I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. Perhaps he has only met a special select "missionary " few. Or maybe he forgot to add that Australians who choose to live overseas are generally confident, competent, intelligent, articulate and socially adaptable creatures.

...At least I would like to think that being a weirdo wasn't my primary recommendation for being sent here.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:57 pm , Blogger gretchen said...

    um, two things! I was told the same thing: '....so what's wrong with you...?!' and then: THAT is what I thought of all the Australians I met: confident, competent, intelligent, articulate, and socially adaptable! not to mention, just generally REALLY cool!! TOTALLY changed my previous perspective ;)

     
  • At 7:14 am , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bit harsh.

     
  • At 12:40 pm , Anonymous Marsha said...

    PIP, You're one of the most 'socially 'ept' persons I've ever met! People who are afraid to get into another culture are way more socially inept! And by the way, WHICH society are we talking about, the world or God's??

    Marsha (who by the way, just became a grammy to Isaac Trevor Woods! How cool is that??

     
  • At 4:37 pm , Blogger pip said...

    thanks guys! I'm feeling much more confident and 'ept' ; )
    (ps congratulations grammy Marsha!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home