somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Training... for something

A couple of months ago I signed up for the Canberra marathon on April 11. Turns out there's a legal dispute in the Federal Court over who owns the right to manage the event so it's not certain that the race will go ahead in 2010. Some media reports have said that the race has already been axed. The Canberra Marathon website promises that it hasn't been canceled.. yet.. but that they are "seriously exploring all options for April 11". I'm still running and still training for whatever race I can find sometime in April. Over the past week I've tried two different training runs.

1. The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Run.

This is a winner! Perfect speed & endurance session for training for a half-marathon or a mid-week session in a marathon training program. (I did it at a gym with my music kicking through the speakers and the sports channel on silent on the TV.)

Run 5K at half-marathon pace
Break 5 mins (ab bench/ core work)
Run 4K at pace
Break 5 mins (weights/ upper body)
Run 3K at pace
Break 5 mins (walk/ stretch)
Run 2K at pace
Jog 1K to cool down

2. The Sandwich Run

It might be called a 'sandwich run' but this aint no picnic! The goal is to do two long runs over two consecutive days in order to build strength. My first bite at the sandwich wasn't good... I need to try this one again!

Day 1: I ran 25K at a good pace. It was fun and easy.
Day 2. I had planned to run 30-35K. I ran 20K. The first 12K were fine. The next 8K were slow. Then I quit. I was nackered.

Next time...


2 Comments:

  • At 12:15 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 12:17 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    pip . . .

    you coming to canberra again?

    if your free, would love to grab a coffee!!

    oh, and if your looking for somewhere to stay i've got a friend nearby who would probably put you up!!

    megan. x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home