somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

32 laps

When I was growing up summer Sunday afternoons were usually spent down at the beach. There were hours of fun to be had with my fluro-pink bodyboard with the hot eighties lightening bolt design!

There was, however, one rule for the beach. Before I played in the surf I had to swim laps of the fifty metre ocean pool. The rule was: one lap for every birthday. Seven years old? Seven laps. No cheating. Ten years old? Ten laps. No excuses.

My parents did this for two reasons. Firstly, they wanted me to be a strong, confident swimmer. Secondly, I think they wanted me to be a little bit tired so there would be some fear in me when I hit the waves! ; )

Anyway... yesterday I went to the pool to do my laps. It's been a while since I did one for every year. But I wanted to try it coz this week I'll have to add another lap ; )

4 Comments:

  • At 9:12 pm , Blogger gretchen said...

    hey! I said 32, C said 33!! (and you said C was right?!?)

     
  • At 10:27 am , Blogger pip said...

    yup... did 32 laps Saturday. will have to do 33 from today!! ahhh!

     
  • At 8:47 pm , Anonymous Scott said...

    Is this true? I remember trying to swim in Collaroy pool but I'd barely make 25m before standing up in the shallow end, completely out of breath.

     
  • At 2:15 pm , Blogger pip said...

    hey Scott- it's true... but I think mum & dad went easy on you because you didn't exactly love swimming ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home