somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, March 21, 2011

mid March

I don't know about you, but at this time of the year I'm often asking myself a few questions such as, what am I doing? why am I trying to do so much? & how come I'm so tired when it's only March?

In response, I've been thinking about my job description. (Yay that I can write and rewrite my own role whenever i need to!) Here's what I want to do:

- to make suggestions
- to get the money
- to tell stories
- to say thank you

To make suggestions. In networking with other community leaders and finding ways to cooperate in shared activities, I can't tell them what to do. I need to make suggestions and be flexible with the outcomes. Similarly, in working with a team of staff & volunteers, there's great value in throwing around ideas and seeing what seems to spark interest in the team. While our staff are still young & are growing in there stills, there remains a need to direct at times (even command!). However, I want to spend much more time making suggestions rather than giving orders!

To get the money. Yeah... I guess 'donor relations' or something would be the more commonly used term. We don't need a lot of cash but we do need some. It's my job to ask for it. I think we're a good cause!

To tell stories. I love telling stories about the work that is happening here, both to encourage other people and to motivate myself to faith, love & hope! It's great to tell stories in one-on-one conversations, group meetings or in writing. I also love telling stories about Jesus and want to keep getting better at articulating my faith using clear, interesting Khmer language.

To say thank you. There are always reasons to be thankful. I work with volunteers every week; people who invest their time coaching sports teams, helping as referees and teaching English classes. I pick up packages from friends in Australia with gifts for our work and for our staff. A few times a year I receive unexpected gifts with 'little luxuries' (mostly edible or readable!). I appreciate always having reasons to say thanks.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:57 pm , Blogger Lisa said...

    Hi Pip,

    Love the clarity. Something I need at the moment.

    THANKS,

    Lisa

     
  • At 8:44 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with you, Lisa. Thanks Pip. As we've pledged to support you in May, can I read the bulk of this blog on the Sunday designated to the work that you are doing?
    God bless
    Ken @ FFBC

     
  • At 6:43 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Thanks Lisa & Ken.
    Ken, talk again via email : )

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home