somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

CSO is the new NGO

This week I'm attending a one day regional forum between Government and NGO representatives on the topic of Good Governance. "The main objective of this forum is to enhance enabled working environment between Government and NGO for promoting effective application of Good Governance principles and development effectiveness principles."

In my study so far this morning, I've learned that the term CSO (Civil Society Organisation) seems to be quite in vogue. It's used interchangeably with NGO (Non-Government Organisation). I was also surprised when I did a bit of research to find that there are many permeations from the simple NGO starter too. For example:

ENGO: Environmental NGO
INGO: International NGO
TANGO: Technical Assistance NGO
MANGO: Marketing Advocacy NGO
BINGO: Business-friendly International NGO
QUANGO: Quasi-Autonomous NGO

Wow! This jargon might all be enough for my brain to grasp in English but I need to do extra homework preparation because the seminar is in Khmer. Okay... back to cramming NGO-speak!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home