somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pursat River Run- Sunday November 6, 2011

This year marked the fourth consecutive year that I've entered the 10km event at the Pursat River Run. The flat, scenic course and the opportunity to run with local Cambodians draws me back. I enjoy getting away for a weekend, catching up with seasoned runners and meeting new people who are interested in sport. This year one of my highlights was standing on the podium with Cambodian superstar runner Ly Nary! (I finished third.)

After the 10km, I begged a ride with a helpful race official and lined up for the 5km event. This time, as I ran with Sok Eang from Poipet, I was free to notice the spectators who lined the streets, the children who called out, "hello barang!" and to see the determined effort it takes runners to complete a distance event.

As we passed the 3km marker, I met a local Grade 8 student named Mom. She was running with a group of her friends but they were starting to tire. I said to them, "Little sisters, don't stop! Let's run slowly all together! Do you think you can do it?" They nodded in agreement. I ran with the teenagers. They sipped water from my bottle. I praised them and gently pushed them to continue. After the 5km race, Mom came over to our group of friends, pointed at me and told one of the guys, "She is the one who gave me courage!" When she went up to receive her prize, I chapped and cheered. Wow! Now that is a memory worth keeping!

Poipet Run Club sent a contingent of twelve runners. We trained for 10 weeks leading up to the event. This year seven people ran the 10km event and the remaining five completed the 5km. Four runners received a prize in the presentation ceremony (Boray, Tharith, Paul and Pip). One team member, Theary, also used the Run Club to find motivation for other life goals. He shared, "Running 10km seemed like an impossible goal. But I thought that if I can rise to the challenge of running 10km, I can pass Grade 12 this year." Having finished the 10km in 52:10, Theary has confidence that he can apply himself to his studies and pass the Grade exam.

Thanks to individuals and groups who have helped to sponsor a runner's prize this year and also to those who contribute to our sports programs in general. It's a joy to run with young people and see them find strength to succeed in the goals they set for themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home