somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, May 07, 2012

Splits of Shame!

I wrote in February that I'm training for a marathon. Yesterday I did a 32km long run along National Highway 5 (in 2 hours & 56 minutes for those who are curious). I was happy with the run, but I know that on race day I still need to run another 10km further at a faster pace. 


There are some people who aren't content to finish a marathon. I'm one of those people. We want to finish strong and run the whole way at a pace that reflects our ability and training. My goal is run my next marathon at a steady pace, rather than 'hitting the wall' at around the 30km mark. My splits from the Gold Coast Marathon in 2010, for example, show a good start and a terrible finish. This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! So, in full transparency, I offer you... Pip Miner's Splits of Shame! 


The first column on the left gives the distance in km's. The second column gives the pace or split time (i.e. average number of minutes and seconds it took to run each km). The right column shows the average speed per km in km/h.


DIST    PACE     SPEED


5km -   4:59 -   12:01
10km-  no data- no data
15km-  4:57 -   12:10
20km-  5:14 -   11:43
25km-  5:19-    11:27
30km-  5:38-    10:46
35km-  5:50-    10:27
40km-  5:50-    10:26
42.2k-  6:07-    9:81

How can I avoid future Splits of Shame? The first thing is to do more long training runs. It's not easy. But I want to learn more about hard training and perseverance... 


I'll let you know how it goes!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:08 pm , Anonymous damon said...

    I am impressed with your determination.

     
  • At 4:21 pm , Blogger Pip said...

    Thanks, Damon!
    I appreciate your ability to find something positive in this :) A marathon is a tough race.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home