somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Doing Things Badly

Growing up I remember hearing the phrase, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well." I'm sure this has a place but I am also learning to do things badly. One of my language learning books assures me that "the only normal way to begin speaking in a new language is to begin speaking badly!!!"

I would love to speak in full sentences with correct grammar and perfect pronunciation. But I'd rather speak a little bit and speak badly rather than being too scared to say anything at all. (Besides- how often do I speak full sentences in English with perfect grammar and pronuncation?) My friend Steve taught a Khmer friend of his a phrase to use when someone is being too tentative. I think this is very useful for me to remember at this stage of learning to speak Khmer - "ave a go ya mug!"

2 Comments:

  • At 6:23 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey chic! I love this blog thing, will check you out often, :) Very cool entries, keep them coming. we are now off to search out something to make you laugh and laugh and laugh, so that you feel you are with us in spirit if not in Hongkers....
    Love you tons
    us

     
  • At 3:00 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Heya groovers-

    Yep. I'm loving this blog thing too. So many new experiences to share with the world. Love ya too.
    Pip

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home