somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Something Polite

Today morning I walked into a small, warm shop-space in Queenstown, New Zealand. I wanted to use the internet because the sign in the window advertised a decent rate. But something happened when I approached the well-groomed shop assistant in her late 40's. I couldn't remember why I had walked into the store. By brain was searching for something to say and it prompted me with the thought, "just say something polite." So before I had a chance to even think about it the words, "thank you" came out of my mouth.

I tried to correct myself by saying out aloud, "Oh no, that's not right....umm...how about 'hello?'...yeah...ummm...hello I would like to use the internet." I felt slightly foolish at not being able to remember the polite thing to say when all I had to say was hello. Anyway... I hoped she would think I was just a little odd rather than off-the-wall crazy.

But then tonight as I was drinking a hot chocolate I thought maybe we just need to expand our polite English language vocab to include more variety when it comes to greetings? Let me ask you- for people like me who can't remember "hello" are there any other alternatives that might work when approaching strangers in the street?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home