somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Learning To Rock

I spent New Years Eve on Koh Chang island. It was great to stroll along the beach, snack, drink, watch fireworks and see people having their own smaller gatherings amongst the larger crowd. One group set up a karaoke system outside their shopfront a block from the beach. They placed a mat on the side of the road on top of which was placed a bunch of friends, piles of half-finished food, various drinks, a TV screen, two speakers and a microphone.

I wandered past as a local was belting out a tune in English. It was Michael Learns To Rock- a Danish band whose popularity in SE Asia is completely out of proportion to their song-writing and musical talent. (Same with most boy bands?) Anyway... I have to say that the sound was far from pleasant. Think Cameron Diaz in My Best Friends Wedding and you are starting to get close. It couldn't get much worse so I stepped in and we finished the song as a duet. Classic! There were a few curious looks from other foreigners (so my friend tells me... I was so caught up in the moment I didn't notice!) but the revellers on the mat were all smiles. We finished the song. We clapped and cheered a little. They offered me a drink. I took one polite sip, thanked them again and moved on. So funny! There are some NYE party moments that just cannot be planned.

(Photo evidence will be added shortly!)

3 Comments:

  • At 8:33 pm , Blogger Mom said...

    Hey Pip
    I am still waiting for these hillarious New years Eve pictures.I bet that was funny.
    Char

     
  • At 10:22 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hey Char-

    Next week for sure!

     
  • At 9:46 pm , Blogger Mom said...

    Hey Pip,
    I am still checking for pic's.!!!! Char

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home