somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Meanest Tip Ever

I had one of those days yesterday...tripped on the stairs, lost stuff and couldn't remember some simple words in Khmer. Then I had a run-in with the ticket collector as I was leaving the moto parking area at the market.

The parking fee was 300 riel. I give him a 500 riel note and waited for the change. (I should explain... 100 riel = 2.5 cents US. So after handing over my 12.5 cent note I was waiting for the 5 cents back.) The ticket guy wasn't forthcoming so I asked for my change. He said he wouldn't give it. I said the price was 300 riel. He said it was more expensive in the evening. I checked my watch. At 4pm? Yes- at 4pm in the evening, came the reply. I asked why the ticket had 300 riel printed on it? After another pause, he looked away, casually opened the draw and handed me two 100 riel notes. I made eye contact, tried to smile and said thank you. Then I added- and here's 100 riel for you. Not because I cared about the grubby notes. Not because I was being generous. Only because I hated being seen as the clueless foreigner. Consequently, the ticket guy got a serving of my stingiest tip ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home