somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, December 07, 2007

I'm a runner!





My first experience of competitive running was the under 9’s 100 metres sprint. I was in third grade. I lined up with the other runts, ran as fast as I could and crossed the line in second-last place. It was miserable.

When necessary I have run for a bus or a ferry. I’ve run in from the rain when I’ve forgotten my umbrella. But since childhood I’ve never been “a runner”. For no real reason, I decided a few months ago that I’d try a 10km run. Something to do in the cool season in Cambodia. One fitness goal to work towards. Anything other than a 100 metre sprint.

In early October I met my training buddy Gretchen, who has been running for about a year. Gretchen convinced me to fill in the registration and we started running together a few times per week. After weeks of “running away from home” and other sessions at the gym, last Sunday was race day. We traveled over 600km return by bus for a 10km run in Siem Reap. It was totally worth it!

We started at the front of the famous Angkor Wat, running past stone temples and under ancient archways. Our feet trod the same path that soldiers and servants, kings and commoners have worn over centuries. I ran and gave high 5-s to little kids, shouted my appreciation to the police who blocked off the road for us and generally made silly comments to whoever would listen. During the second half I paced myself by following “the tall guy in the pink singlet”. He was seriously about 7 feet tall and every time he took a step I had to take two! I also ran for a few km’s with a Cambodian man whose left arm had been amputated. He was strong and determined.

Our goal for our first 10km was to finish in under and hour. I ran a 49:50 and Gretchen came in just over a minute later. The added bonus was that we were the fourth and fifth fastest women in our race. Woo hoo! (The take away? If you want to run like a champ- come to Cambodia! There’s really not that much competition!)

Now that the 10k is over I’m looking at doing some 21k half-marathons next year. Anyone who sucked at school sports is especially welcome to join me : )


8 Comments:

  • At 1:59 pm , Blogger Graham said...

    What a great effort! 4th fastest female over 10km. Now I suppose you will be thinking ahead and wondering, "do I try out for the Cambodian team at Beijing"?
    love from Graham & Wendy

     
  • At 5:03 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow, those are some HOT girls! ;)

     
  • At 7:02 pm , Blogger Miwa in HK said...

    Yay! well done Pip! I was wondering how the race had gone!

     
  • At 10:14 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Yay! Thanks for the comments friends.
    G&W- we did have one moto driver ask if Gretchen and I were trying out for the SE Asian games..ummm...nope...

     
  • At 3:11 am , Blogger Lisa said...

    I think one of those hot girls' name is Steve...

    Well done, Pip! We are seriously impressed.

     
  • At 10:37 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    pip, your jerseys are hilarious! congrats, friend!
    -kira

     
  • At 6:35 pm , Blogger Maaike said...

    Ah Pip. You are amazingly inspirational ... and I see no sweat. Still considering your idea that I start to run ... I actually did yesterday, to the shower in order to be first in the family to get the hot water!
    Go for the Olympics I say!
    Love Maaike

     
  • At 12:11 am , Blogger Mom said...

    Hi Pip, I am Gretchens Mom and I thank you for being a good friend to Gretchen. Also I have enjoyed reading your Blogs. Char

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home