somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reading Challenge

A poll conducted on the reading habits of people in the United States found that:
  • one in four adults read no books at all in the past year
  • only 57% of American adults read a book in 2002
  • among those who said they had read books, the median figure was nine books for women and five for men
In response, this blogger is planning to write a post about every book she reads in 2008. (Thanks for the link CAL...)

I tried keeping a list of all the books I read in 2007. It was updated regularly until August. Around that time I was actually reading more than in previous months but I didn't write down anything about the stack of paperbacks I chewed through while I was hanging around the house recovering from dengue fever.

I guess it is only fair to record whole books in a reading challenge. This is the initial hurdle for me. I'm the type who reads the last chapter first and skips the boring bits. Also, I find compelling reading material in free inflight magazines, advertising material and the nutritional information on the back of yoghurt tubs. I'm not sure if I want to admit to the entire range of my reading consumption habits. The Economist? Yes- I do subscribe. UK Cosmo? Shhhh! Someone gave me a copy after they had read it, promise.

I'll try this reading challenge but I'm not sure if I will blog about every one. If I'm silent on the subject by about mid-April it is because I'm reading only theology and economics. Hmmm....

3 Comments:

  • At 10:29 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    hmm.. who gave you the UK Cosmo?! Have you read "The Spirit Catches You.." yet?! You really should... :)

     
  • At 4:31 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Read "The Spirit Cathcs You..." See new post : )
    No further comment on Cosmo!! Deny. Deny. Deny.

     
  • At 4:07 am , Blogger Cal said...

    Theology and economics sound quite meaty. So far I've read trash, trash and trash. Planning on posting monthly and not writing very many reviews at all!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home