somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, July 23, 2010

carry me

Yesterday was my last full day in Australia for a while. Top 10 on the 'to do' list:

1. Go out for breaki by the lake- thanks Sharon, it was beautiful.
2. Give mum a hug- & say goodbye as she heads off to the Middle East, UK & France for 9 weeks!
3. Buy Tim Tams to take back to Cambodia- but then give them away as my bags get filled up.
4. Wear uggies- nothing like wearing soft, warm sheepskins to kick around the house in winter.
5. Cook curries- Indian style with leftover veggies.
6. Bake- white chocolate brownies with a warm macadamia nut sauce. Soooo good!
7. Drink a couple of beers- part of the process of clearing out the fridge.
8. Light a fire- and feel like a girl scout pro.
9. Go for a run.
10. Be carried by a stranger.

Now you may be wondering about the last point. It was much more of a fun moment than a Mills & Boon highlight. Related to point 9, here's how it happened:

I love training for.... nothing. No long runs. No skipping dessert. I've just been running for the enjoyment of it. Yesterday I went for my last run in Australia for 2010.

I started from home, went down the hill, through the park and followed the bike path to Dee Why Beach. It was high tide so I ran slowly on the soft sand, took the path up to Long Reef headland and turned West. Under the last rays of this wild, winter sunset, I continued past the boat shed, up Anzac Avenue and kicked in for the final hill. My face was damp with cool, salty sweat.

And the best bit? I didn't run the whole way. A stranger carried me. There's a spot at the beach where the inlet from Dee Why creek drains into the ocean. Sometimes it is narrow enough to jump across. Not yesterday. There was a fast current flowing into the waves and a bunch of guys in their late teens in steamers were jumping from the sand walls with their body boards and riding the little wave down the channel. I faced the obstacle and resigned myself to having to get my feet wet. Just as I started to untie my shoelaces, however, a guy called out, "Oi! One of you boys going to give the lady a hand?"

The guys looked up. I wondered who the lady was. He said again, "Yeah. One of you boys give her a piggy back across."

One young guy stood in the shallow water in front of me so he offered his service. I put my hands on the shoulders of his damp wetsuit and crossed my legs around his waist. In a minute I was on the other side, feet dry and ready to run again. Such a great way to finish running in Australia! Carry me, carry me!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:12 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Very cool. Whose was the voice?

     
  • At 6:07 am , Anonymous Omi said...

    I wish you had a photo!

     
  • At 2:34 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Ali- no idea who the stranger was! Just some random guy at the beach.

    And Omi- that would have been fun! I thought the same thing after I landed on the other side of the channel :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home