somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, August 09, 2010

sordid? sorted.

A few months ago someone in Australia commented that my blog contains many positive stories but does not mention the 'sordid' struggles of daily life. I don't want to dwell on the inconveniences, but I will speak of one hardship: the horrendous banging, thumping, drilling, bashing, smashing and crashing that's been going on next door for about as long as I've lived here. I'm kinda over it.
There's nothing wrong with renno's. But it becomes a big deal when a) our house doubles as an office, b) our house shares walls with neighbours on both sides, c) the neighbours left and right take turns to pretty up their pad and d) they seem to employ an average of 1.75 workers (probably at around $1.50 per day) so the work goes on forever! Ahhhh! This morning there was drilling and pounding on the Eastern wall about 1.5m from where I sat at my desk trying to do something resembling work.
Anyway, the solution was fairly simple. I skipped the office and went to Palais for coffee. The background noise was made up of an expresso machine, staff chatting in Khmer and kids giggling in Thai... all blended with the musical call of the poker machines. I worked, I read, I scribbled this post and thought how often sordid can be solved with a latte.


2 Comments:

  • At 8:01 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just got a note from my neighbour to say that they are renovating the bathroom upstairs and it could go on for 10-12 working days. I'm not looking forward to that.

    Sharon

     
  • At 6:14 am , Anonymous omi said...

    oh man...this blog so bought back all the memories...the reno's use to drive emil kundig insane....you should get a new office!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home