somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

PS Soccer



In the midst of travel, racing, having guests and generally being busy, I'm reminded that we have a record 38 teams playing football every weekend too! At the beginning of the year, I set a goal for our project to grow big and deep.


On Sunday, November 20, we started our Youth Football League with short, friendly matches for all four divisions (U17s, U15s, U13s and Girls). It was a big gig! I want football to grow big in Poipet because I believe that young people have the right to go to school and the right to play. I want to give them something to look forward to in their week. I want them to train and to compete, to win and lose, to learn and to make mistakes. I want them to put on their uniform and to know that whatever other labels society puts on them, for a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, they can say with confidence, "I am a footballer."


Over the last two weekends we've had official opening ceremonies and started to keep track of the game results. I also want to see the football program grow deep. I look forward to a growing depth in the players, with some trying out for regional and national teams. I'm encouraged by the commitment of the volunteer coaches and referees. They are positive role models who develop close relationships with the players over the season. I pray that there will be growth and development in the character of the players through this football program.


I guess this post is a reminder for me as much as anything else: PS Soccer.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:21 pm , Anonymous Omi said...

    Awesome pip! Let's pray say a few years from now poipet is the best province for soccer in Khmer land.....dream big achieve big!!,

     
  • At 6:38 pm , Anonymous Scott said...

    looking good...... I hope it is a great time

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home