somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, December 05, 2011

Race Weekend in Siem Reap




Two races in Siem Reap last weekend: one DNF and one DQ! ... but it was a cool couple of days. Here's why:


On Saturday I entered my first bike race. 100km. I guess this fits with my tendency to plunge right into a big race and hope for the best. Naomi and I set our alarms for 4:15am to meet other cyclists in town and ride 10km to the start as a warm-up. It was barely light at 5:45am when our four-lap race around the Angkor Wat temple complex began.

The first lap was mad fun! My heart was pumping with the excitement of the race but I also had a vague race plan to try to avoid 'bonking' (yeah.. kinda funny word that one...) Anyway, I was finished the first lap in 48 minutes and felt good. Half way through lap two I hit a pothole and blew a tube. I was carrying a spare but didn't have a pump. A policeman gave me a ride on his motorbike a few kilometres along the race route (with shouts of 'good race tactics!' by some cheeky sod as he cycled past). The police officer then turned onto a dirt road, continued for a couple of km's and dropped me in the middle of a sleepy village with nothing like 'support crew' in sight! A boy of about 10 years walked me along the street to find a bike repair guy. I handed over the 75 cent service charge and then the boy wanted his cut. Instead, I asked the kid if he wanted a ride of my bike? Yup. So I helped him get steady on the seat and jogged beside him as curious neighbours looked on! We said goodbye and I gave him the chocolate bar I'd stashed in my jersey for 'race nutrition'. At the start of lap three I was trying to motivate myself to keep up a decent pace. Respect the race. Finish the race. Unfortunately, I hadn't completed the third lap when I got another puncture. Two flats. Game over. I rode the final kilometers at a snail pace and quit after 75kms, having been lapped by at least a quarter of the field.


Call it race experience? Yeah. Say I was disappointed? Yeah. Call it motivation for training for another race? Heck yeah!


On Sunday morning over five thousand runners converged at the Temples to run 21km/ 10km or 3km. I was planning to cheer. A couple of days before the race, however, I received a text: 'I booked you in the 10km'. At first I thought it was a joke. On Saturday, after a visit to the registration point and a dozen calls & texts, I had a race bib and a timing chip in my hand. But I realised that 'I got you a number' doesn't mean quite the same thing as 'I have officially registered your name at full price through the appropriate channels'!!


I started half way though the pack and ran a very conservative first few kilometers. It was a bit of a surprise to get to the turn-around point at 5km and realise I was the fifth female. I soon passed the two women just ahead of me, maintained a consistent pace and found some kick for the final few hundred meters for a comfortable third. Then I got disqualified! No worries... I didn't have time to stick around for the prize ceremony anyway because I had a to rush home to give a speech in Poipet for the youth soccer league at midday!


I'm really learning to 'reframe failure'.. and I would never have expected that a DNF and a DQ could be so much fun ; )

1 Comments:

  • At 2:16 pm , Anonymous Omi said...

    I agree pip...so much fun!! Lots of fun and memories...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home