somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, March 04, 2005

A Second Verse

Last night I was thinking about a possible second verse to my song Kynom Ngam Bai. As we were preparing for dinner, my Cambodian mum showed me some dried fish that she had bought from the market. I won't go into all the details, but it looked as though quite a bit of work had gone into preparing these small (15cm?) fish.

Dinner time came. Seven of us sat down to rice, fish, sauce and vegetables. The fish are a popular favourite. Keen to try, I tuck into one. Wanting to show my sincere liking of this new variety of fish, I eat a couple more. A few minutes later I notice that everyone else is gradually building a pile of fish heads on the table in front of them. I have no such pile. I take another dried fish, eat it and push the head towards my younger sister. It is quite possible that any missing heads could have ended up in her little mound....

Even so, as I finished my rice I wondered whether I should include a second verse containing lyrics such as, "this idiot eats the fish heads too"?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:15 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Does does your blog allow you to record your song...would love to hear it! Quite a meal! Wonder how you'll feel about western food after all these 'exotic' meals! Love reading your blog.Keep them coming. Good to get some Sopia humour in our lives!

     
  • At 11:30 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    pip i just want to say i think its great that you're willing to be so culturally relevant that you'd eat the fish heads too!! :)

     
  • At 3:39 pm , Blogger pip said...

    I have to confess that the fish heads tasted pretty much the same as the rest of the fish so I wasn't being 'hardcore' culturally relevant at all :)

    We have a bunch of places to eat out in PP... might go out to Lucky Burger one of these days for a change... or Indian? (yummo)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home