somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Things about the cold...

There are some things about the cold that I had forgotten.

I remembered how good hot coffee tastes but had forgotten the pleasure of hot chocolate (or better still, hot chili chocolate).
I remembered the way that steam from the shower fills the bathroom. I had forgotten the trick of grabbing the towel afterwards, flicking the door closed again and drying off inside the warm shower cubicle.
I remembered the feeling of cold air hitting the back of my throat when I go for a run. I forgot the cold that slaps the thighs through jogging pants.
I remembered scarves, gloves, hats and goggles. I forgot about wind-burn and ice on nose, chin and cheeks.
I remembered closed shoes work better than flip-flops in winter. I had no idea that if snowboarding boots are left in the car overnight they can freeze. (And dang it is painful trying to put them on the next morning!)
I forgot that there was a need for things like snow chains.

Minus eight up a mountain is a rare experience for me. This past week I enjoyed the icy details. But the real reason for putting my body through it was as follows:




4 Comments:

  • At 1:12 pm , Blogger KT said...

    Dude! I've been waiting for the photos!! How very very awesome. And what a beautiful sight!

    When I was in Queenstown a few years ago (not boarding but ringing hand bells ;), I distinctly remember a song going through my head with the line 'Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were an offering far too small, love so amazing, so divine demands my life, my soul, my all...'

    How awesome are those mountains?! And how true that even if we could present them as an offering, it would still be nowhere near valuable enough for what has been done for us; and nowhere near as valuable as simple obedience and a committed heart!

     
  • At 2:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hey, pip! looks like you are having fun! how are your injuries from your moto accident? are you pretty much healed up? i love reading your blog! haha...i forgot about grabbing the towel and drying off in the warm shower! hope you're having fun!
    -kira

     
  • At 6:11 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's awesome, Pip! Have a great time! - Ali

     
  • At 4:37 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip! Waiting for another blog installment... sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting to hear how you are going. Now I know how family feels!! Can't wait to see you again. Lisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home