somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Investments

Some time last year a friend asked if she could borrow some money so that a relative could invest in a cow. I agreed. For several months, therefore, I was part-owner of a cow. (Just don't ask me which part of the cow I owned....)

Last week this same friend asked if I could loan some money so she could pay her university fees. I asked her a number of questions and didn't answer her at the time. However, early this week I contacted her by phone and asked if she still needed some money. She did. I told her that I would be willing to lend her the full amount. My friend had obviously been thinking about how her family could pay back a loan for she immediately responded, "Oh! And don't worry. Mum is raising a pig which will be ready to sell at the end of next month, so I can give you the money at the end of August."

Maybe this is an opportunity to invest in a young woman's education. Perhaps it is an investment in the future of a nation...but I like the sound of a low-return investment in a provincial pig.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:07 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey pip!

    Sounds like a great investment idea.. would love to present it as a new form of agricultural investment for our clients!!

    Hope everything is going well over there... Ben Bridges and Ailie had their engagement party yesterday so that was good fun.

    catch you soon!
    Andrew

     
  • At 11:57 am , Blogger pip said...

    Hi Andrew-

    I'd been keen to hear if there are other things that you think might work : )

    e.g. Not sure about the financial returns but there could be an opening for large-scale rat/ vermin control.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home