somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Saturday, February 07, 2009

his nine

This week I learned that it is possible to ask someone on a date with just a few dozen words in a common language. The date may never eventuate, but it’s possible to ask.

On my latest eight-hour bus adventure, I was seated next to a Chinese guy. I guess he was in his late twenties. Slim build, soft hair, sculpted cheeks, perfect teeth. He was from Shanghai. This good-looking fella was well dressed but wasn’t flashing any expensive jewelry. (Anyway, he wasn’t rich... he was taking the bus!)

The stranger spoke a little Khmer and even less English. But he communicated with surprising efficiency the same way I find myself trying to convey messages when I’m in a foreign place. He spoke his first language, threw in a few words in the local lingo and acted his stories in mime. It worked.

Through gestures, the story of his morning mishap unfolded. He took a moto taxi to the bus station. Unfortunately on the way, his phone dropped out of his right trouser pocket. He didn’t realise until he boarded the bus... and by that time it was too late! He had a few numbers written down in a compact notebook stashed in his shirt pocket. But he was nervous because he didn’t have his phone. (I let him borrow mine and after a quick call to the person who was meeting him at the other end, he looked slightly less afraid.)

I heard/ watched his story. Then over the next few hours we managed something of a conversation. I’m sure he thought I had a particular linguistic gift because his Chinese became increasingly fluent. Even the few Khmer works he used started to sound like Mandarin, softened by his gentle articulation and melodic tones.

But you’re wondering about the date, right? Ok, I’ll tell you. He asked for some paper and a pen. I found a crumpled receipt. He smoothed it out, wrote down his name and number, folded it neatly and gave it back. He pointed to me, then to himself. He used the sign for “call me” and then threw in two basic Cambodian words, “eat rice”. Before he left, he went through the same routine just to make sure I understood the invitation. So I’ve got his nine numbers.... but I’m not planning on using them.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:55 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "lost his phone" LOL
    He was using your phone to leave your phone number on his mate's phone. He'll call you back soon. :-)

     
  • At 4:54 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh, come on!! ;-)

     
  • At 5:44 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Andrew- you boys are sneaky!
    But no.... he looked so lost and afraid like he really did manage to drop his phone on the way. I will let you know if you are right but I don't think so!! : )

     
  • At 5:05 am , Blogger gretchen said...

    i have a comment but i won't post it here.... ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home