somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, May 27, 2005

Some things do follow....

Yesterday I read these words by Charles Ringma:

We live in a refractory and difficult world. Our experience confirms this. Things do not always work out, despite our careful planning.

Aint that the truth? I'm feeling the randomness of life in this city. Traffic all over the place; classes suspended because of any number of public holidays; advertised events that are cancelled without apology or explanation; meeting times that are elastic even for an Australian. The obvious way to respond to all this is to plan less. If I don't make plans then I can't get disappointed. If I preface everything with a maybe I might feel more comfortable in the chaos. Maybe. Rigma continues-

This does not mean, however, that everything is random. Some things do follow. When we freely forgive a person who has hurt us, we can be sure that we will banish bitterness from our hearts. When we serve others, not out of guilt or compulsion, but out of love, we ourselves will be blessed. When we give, not because we expect to receive, but freely and with a generous heart, we will receive. When we become men and women of prayer, we will grow in spiritual wisdom. When we live in obedience to God's will, our lives will be fruitful.

At times I forget that these principles of sowing and reaping still hold true- even in the seeming randomness. While I can't pluck the fruit from seeds I planted yesterday, I can expect fruit in season. This week I am challenged to sow into the areas of language study, prayer, serving the family I'm living with, building other relationships and figuring out the unfamiliar chord patterns used in Khmai worship songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home