somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Stop For The Dying

Rosie sent me a book by Rolland and Heidi Baker, There Is Always Enough. I've been so challenged by reading it this week. The Baker's tell their stories about ministering amongst the poor- particularly in Mozambique. The chapter that hit me the hardest was Chapter 8, "Stop For The Dying." It begins with this stupidly obvious sentence, "We should stop every single time for each person."

In the light of all the stats I've been reading lately about global poverty the question of how we stop people from dying from hunger and disease has been on my mind. One part of how to answer the question, "How do I stop people dying?" is to stop for the dying.

I met with one of my language classmates over lunch this week. She was telling me about how her husband was riding his motorbike along a main road in Phnom Penh recently when he had to literally dodge a woman sitting in the middle of the traffic. He couldn't just continue on his way. He turned around and helped the woman off the road. They were beside a supermarket so, if I remember correctly, he went inside to buy her some food. He also found the manager of the shop to ask his advice about what could be done for the destitute woman. The manager, however, was not at all concerned. His reply was something like, "Oh yeah- we know about her. Is she still hanging around then is she?" In reality, perhaps it would have caused a problem for him if she had died on the steps of his supermaket. Perhaps it would be easier for him if she were struck down quickly by a passing vehicle. I don't know.

I know that my friend's husband tried to do something but still felt so helpless. But at least he stopped for the dying.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:50 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I found that book really challenging too. Just thinking of all the people down in the park at Byron who i walk past so often with such valid excuses as I dont have enough time or i dont know what to say anyway!!
    The chapter that impacted me the most was at the end when Heidi said its time to lie down and let Him Love you. (or something like that) and dont get up until He tells you to get up...
    Seems to be same old message i have nothing outside of Him and His love. All i have is empty hands Lord, wont you please come and fill them. And a cold heart wont you please come and break it yet again!! Seems so simple but somehow i must be reminded yet again.
    On that note i think ill try find someone i can stop for today...
    Rosie

     
  • At 3:24 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Yeah- the last chapter is gold too. I was trying to talk with my friend yesterday about just how God has been hammering me in this past week (in a good way...) but it was like I was babbling about Grade 1 stuff... The most powerful lessons are often Grade 1 lessons. Lessons we/ I need to learn over and over...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home