somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

MOJs from Saturday

My first MOJ (Moment of Joy) for the day was going to my local swimming pool. I usually arrive not long after opening time and am often the first one to break the water as I start my laps. By the time I've done my 1-1.5km I'm usually pretty pumped. Saturday was such a beautiful, clear, warm, sunny morning that I was basking in the MOJs before I even started swimming. At the pool I met a group of young women who are also Saturday regulars. It was great to go beyond the smiles of recognition to introductions and conversation. They complimented me on my swimming ability (very few people in Cambodia have had the opportunity to learn to swim so I'm like a serious athlete in their eyes!) and on my ability to speak a little Khmai (always good for the ego!). They shared some snacks with me and we chatted together for about 30 minutes- mostly in Khmai but with some English thrown in when I couldn't get what they were trying to say.

On Saturdays I've started joining the music team at church for their practice session. It is a great way to get to know some people better by doing something we are all interested in. Even though some of the songs are still very unfamiliar I'm starting getting a feel for them. The music leader asked me again when I want to start playing on Sundays and I said that I'd be happy to start next month. I now have a number of songs that I can practice at home and hopefully will be ready for my debut in about 4 weeks time. MOJ number 2 achieved by just keeping on strumming.

Later that day, I was riding down one of Phnom Penh's main roads when my bicycle chain fell off. Rather than being a hassle, this led to MOJ number 3. It took maybe 15 seconds of me fiddling fruitlessly with the chain before a young guy stopped his moto to help me. After the chain was secure again, I turned to face him in order to offer my sincere thanks. At that point I was very tempted to blurt out, "Is it just you- is it just me- or is it that people become ten times better looking when they surprise you with kindness?" ...Instead I said, "thank you very much- brother" and kept the rest to myself : )




4 Comments:

  • At 7:50 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's 'damsel in distress' syndrome. I fell in love last week when a 70 year old man fixed the zipper on my bag.

     
  • At 6:31 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think it's great that you are pumped and not pooped after doing all those laps.
    mum

     
  • At 2:12 pm , Blogger pip said...

    Wow- "I fell in love when a 70 year old man fixed the zipper on my bag" sounds like great Jerry Springer line...

     
  • At 8:56 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yes, but I don't fancy my chances in a punch up with his younger Shanghainese wife...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home