somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Matthew 10: 24-39. Disturbing Love

It has been a while since I blogged sermon notes. I often start to write something but I don't always finish. This weekend, however, a deluge of Saturday afternoon rain forced me to stay inside for a couple of hours- enough time to bring together some reflections from these last few days on the lectionary reading from Matthew 10:24-39.


(Verse 39: If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it.)

I babysat four-year-old Joel last night. We had to play quietly because his younger sister, Emma, was already asleep. We were scribbling drawings when Joel grabbed a cardboard tube for a new game. At first I was a little unsure of what kind of game we were going to play but then Joel put the tube against my ear, ready for him to whisper a message. He thought for a moment then said softly, "I love you very much". It was my turn to respond, "I love you too." Joel grinned as if he was surprised that his easy, innocent declaration of love had been reciprocated. I signaled that I had another message, so again his little ear went up against the cardboard tube. I said, "Joel, Jesus loves you very much." Joel's reply? '"Yes. I know that."

It was so cool to hear that, in his four-year-old way, Joel is already grounded in the love of Jesus. But this isn't just talk for kids. It is important for disciples of Jesus, no matter what their age, to experience the extravagant, unconditional love of God. We need to remember that God cares for us, knows the number of hairs on our head and sees us as His precious own (vs30-31). God loves, loves, loves us- personally, individually, passionately.

It is when we are saturated in this truth, we can hear the more disturbing words of Jesus from this passage.
The student shares the teacher's fate. The servant shares the master's fate. (Verse 25a)
Don't be afraid of those who want to kill you. They can only kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both body and soul in hell. (Verse 28)
Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! No I came to bring a sword. (Verse 34)
If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it. (Verse 39)


These words were spoken by Jesus to his disciples in the context of preparing them to be sent out. He gives them authority to cast out spirits and to heal every kind of sickness and illness. But Jesus wants them to know that the journey won't be cozy. Jesus' teaching about family, community and the Kingdom of God didnt't fit nicely within the status quo. Therefore, rulers, religious leaders and even family members could threaten very serious opposition. Jesus wants the disciples to know that in the midst of powerful ministry there are difficulties but that in the midst of difficulties there is love.

For those first disciples, and for us, being grounded in Christ's love does not lead to mellow complacency but compels love towards others. It empowers us to confront injustice, engage with the broken, touch the wounded and not worry when we face opposition. These are necessary engagements.

Even though I believe these things, I often find myself wanting to avoid uncomfortable, painful or embarrassing situations. I don't always want to enter into someone else's suffering. There is a vague aspiration popularly called Lifestyle that can be a great temptation for us to idols. But if Lifestyle is our primary pursuit, life becomes an attempt to shield us from anything painful or difficult. Life becomes an escape; a diversion; a distraction. To put it bluntly, Matthew 10 tells us that disciples of Jesus aren't called to a Lifestyle free from difficultly but to Life. We are called to experience life- with all the pain that comes with it- rather than hide from it all. We are called, like the first disciples' Jesus sent out, to engage in the pain and struggles of other people too. We are called to give up our lives in order to gain life.

When we are grounded in love we can dare to pray, "Disturb us, Lord."

Disturb us, Lord,
when we are too well pleased with ourselves;
when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little;
when we arrive safetly because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when with the abundance of things we possess
we have lost our thirst for the Waters of Life;
having fallen in love with life, we have ceased to dream of eternity;
and in our efforts to build a new earth,
we have allowed our vision of the new heaven to grow dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly-
to venture on wider seas where storms will show your mastery;
where losing sight of land, we shall find the stars.
We ask you to push back the horizons of our hopes,
and to push us in the future with strength, courage, hope and love.

(Author unknown)

I must admit, I have felt rather disturbed lately! Over these past months I've felt totally thrust out from what feels comfortable. Yet, I don't want to run away from these things. I want to engage in the experiences God has for me. I want to be compelled by the Spirit's strength, courage, hope and love to dare more boldly. Amen.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:04 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Glad i could finally find time to sit and read this one... feeling a bit disturbed myself lately and i have to admit on some days im still a bit tempted to run. seems easier to dream little and stay close to the shore but the big dreams wont leave me alone!! i still want to ride the giants.
    luv ya bub
    :)x

     
  • At 9:02 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Pip, you say it so well. Need to be grounded in love to be able to be disturbed and not swamped. Needed that word for the moment. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home