somesaypip

Life for an Aussie chick in North West Cambodia. Local work in sports, education and development.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Miss Independent?

Over the past couple of weeks my younger bro has given me the nickname Independent. This has caused me much grief because I couldn't figure out why he started calling my by this name.

Cambodia is much more of a collective culture than I'm used to (to give one small example- in Khmer the word for different is the same as the word wrong). With this in mind I have been making a real effort to do things together with my adopted family. There have been several Saturday and Sunday nights recently when I have turned down invitations to go out with my friends because I don't want my family to think that I'm trying to avoid them. So I was pretty cut that my adopted bro should start calling me Independent.

I have asked him about it a couple of times but he's only smiled and avoided replying. Finally, on Wednesday night, I asked him once more. "Why this new name? Why independent?" I asked him three times with the "I'm not messing with you here... I really want an answer" tone of voice. Finally he said, "I don't know what it means! I heard it on TV!"

I gave a rough translation of what it means in Khmer and told him that I don't like this nickname. He stopped for a couple of days but he started again this afternoon (probably because he knows it bugs me!) - I guess at least now he knows what it means.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:46 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your younger brother is trying his best to get on your nerves... now you really are part of the family!

     
  • At 10:40 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Poor Pip =P
    I had to luagh when i read that he hear it on tv...
    With ur adpoted family do u mostly speak English or Khamer or both?
    How are family Saturday & Sunday nites spent with ur family?

     
  • At 9:33 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I can't believe it! It's no longer true to be able to say the classic Pip line: "It's not weird/wrong, it's just different..." The world is indeed a strange place!

    Love
    Katey

     
  • At 7:47 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You might want to try to teach younger bro the difference between independent and autonomous - and introduce him to the concept of interdependence. In order to live in another country and do what you are doing you have to be autonomous, but you are also being interdependent.
    Yes, the teasing indicates you are really part of the family - and I'm sure you can reciprocate in the nicest way!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home